skip to Main Content
Call for a Houston Patent Attorney! 1-832-621-0353
Provisional Patent Applications: What You Need To Know, Part 13

Where Can You File A U.S. Utility Patent Application?

  • All U.S. utility patent applications must be filed in the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).

All utility patent applications must be filed in the USPTO either directly using a U.S. non-provisional utility patent application or indirectly by filing a PCT application AND then a U.S. national stage application. A U.S. utility patent application can provide protection across the entire USA, because a U.S. utility patent can be enforced across the entire USA. A U.S. utility patent cannot be used to sue competitors in any other country.

Also, an inventor, a U.S. patent attorney, or a U.S. patent agent can file your application by mail, fax, or on the Internet from anywhere across the U.S. or around the world.

Leave a Reply

Back To Top
×Close search